17.1 C
Delhi
Friday, February 20, 2026

Ghooskhor Pandat title dropped, no insult to religion, community: Neeraj Pandey in SC

New Delhi: Filmmaker Neeraj Pandey has filed an affidavit before the Supreme Court stating that the controversial title of the upcoming film, earlier titled ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’, has been “unequivocally withdrawn” and assuring that the movie does not insult or target any religion or community.

Denying allegations of hurting religious sentiments, the producer submitted: “I state categorically and unequivocally that neither I nor my Production House had any deliberate or malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of citizens of India.”

He further asserted that the film “does not insult or attempt to insult any religion, or community or the religious beliefs of any class of citizens of India, whether by words, visual depiction, title, promotional material, electronic means, or otherwise.”

Referring to objections raised after the teaser release on February 3, the affidavit said the promotional material was withdrawn within days.

“After considering the concerns received from members of the public…the deponent withdrew the promotional materials relating to the film on 6 February 2026,” it stated, clarifying that there was “never any intention to demean any religion, caste, or community.”

The producer informed the apex court that the disputed title would no longer be used. “I respectfully submit that the earlier title, ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’, stands unequivocally withdrawn and shall not be used in any manner whatsoever,” the affidavit said.

It added that any new title yet to be finalised “shall not be similar to, or evocative of, the earlier title” and would accurately reflect the narrative without giving rise to unintended interpretations.

The affidavit clarified that the movie is “a fictional police drama that revolves around a criminal investigation” and “does not portray any caste, religion, community, or sect as corrupt.”

The producer additionally placed on record that a similar writ petition raising identical concerns had earlier been filed before the Delhi High Court. It said the Delhi High Court, in an order passed on February 10, disposed of the petition after recording the statement that the title would be changed, observing that nothing further survived for adjudication.

Pandey prayed that the petition before the Supreme Court be disposed of in similar terms.

The affidavit comes after the Supreme Court, on February 12, came down heavily on the filmmakers over the title ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’, observing that freedom of speech and expression cannot be used as a licence to denigrate a section of society.

A Bench of Justices B.V. Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan had issued notice to the Centre, the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), and the filmmaker, while indicating that the film would not be permitted to release unless the title was changed.

“Freedom of speech and expression does not mean you can portray a community in a bad light,” the apex court had remarked, cautioning that such nomenclature could disturb social harmony at a time when societal tensions already exist.

The PIL before the Supreme Court alleged that the film’s title and storyline promote caste- and religion-based stereotyping and hurt the dignity and religious sentiments of the Brahmin community.

It contended that equating the caste identifier “Pandit” with “ghooskhor” (bribe-taker) creates a defamatory stereotype against an identifiable community and violates Articles 14, 19(2), 21, 25 and 51A(e) of the Constitution.

The plea, filed by Atul Mishra, National Organisation Secretary of the Brahman Samaj of India, through advocate Dr Vinod Kumar Tewari, has sought a direction restraining the release or screening of the film in its present form.

In the previous hearing, appearing for filmmaker Pandey, counsel submitted that the trailer had already been removed from social media platforms and that the title of the film was being changed. The Supreme Court had then directed the producer to file an affidavit placing on record the steps taken, including the proposed change of title.

Latest

Sophie Turner retches after kissing Kit Harington during The Dreadful shoot. Video

Former Game of Thrones co-stars Sophie Turner and Kit Harington admit to feeling uncomfortable while portraying romantic partners in Natasha Kermani's horror fi

Daniel Radcliffe says Dominic McLaughlin will be a better Harry Potter than him

Daniel Radcliffe supported Dominic McLaughlin taking over the role of Harry Potter for HBO's upcoming adaptation. He urged fans and media to embrace the new cas

Sydney Sweeney, Michele Morrone’s deleted scene in The Housemaid defines sequel

Paul Feig explained why a major scene featuring Sydney Sweeney and Michele Morrone was cut from The Housemaid, hinting at its possible return in the Lionsgate s

The Gates trailer: James Van Der Beek stuns as sinister pastor in his final role

The trailer of The Gates offers a haunting look at James Van Der Beek in one of his final performances, portraying a sinister pastor in the Lionsgate thriller.

U2’s new music honors Renee Good and draws inspiration from world events

U2's new music honors Renee Good and draws inspiration from world events

Topics

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released from custody, remains under investigation over public office misconduct

While Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation, authorities have confirmed that searches conducted in Norfolk have now concluded. The ca

Lake Tahoe avalanche: How six survivors used iPhone SOS to alert rescuers after deadly Castle Peak slide

US News: 15 backcountry skiers enjoying a guided trip near Lake Tahoe were caught in a powerful avalanche, leaving eight dead, six survivors rescued after hour.

China opens doors to 50 countries visa-free – Pakistan left out, what about India?

The new rule lets people from selected countries travel to the country without a visa for a short stay starting from the 2026 Spring Festival, which celebrates

UK blocks Trump from using RAF base near Swindon for potential Iran strikes

The UK government has denied the United States permission to use British air bases for possible strikes on Iran. This decision intensifies tensions over the fut

Former Prince Andrew released 11 hours after arrest amid Epstein Files probe

UK News: British former royal Andrew has been released following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.Police confirmed that the younger broth.

Ex-prince Andrew released hours after arrest, remains under investigation

Searches at Andrew’s former home on the Windsor estate, west of London, were understood to be ongoing.

King Charles’ brother Andrew released after arrest over misconduct relating to Epstein

Former Prince and King Charles’ younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested in the United Kingdom on Thursday, on suspicion of misconduct in pub

UK refuses US permission to use bases for Iran strikes

The UK has blocked US access to RAF Fairford and Diego Garcia for a potential strike on Iran, angering President Donald Trump. He criticized Prime Minister Keir
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img