26.1 C
Delhi
Friday, February 20, 2026

FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC’s ‘The View’ over equal time rule

The Federal Communications Commission is investigating ABC’s “The View” over possible violations of the requirement that broadcast stations give equal time to political candidates when they appear on-air, according to the head of the agency that oversees U.S. broadcast airwaves.

“The FCC has an enforcement action underway on that,” Chairman Brendan Carr told reporters after an agency meeting Wednesday, in response to a question about whether there were an investigation into the daytime series over potential violations of the “equal time” rule. “And we’re taking a look at it.”

James Talarico, a Democratic candidate for the Senate in Texas, appeared on “The View” on Feb. 2. U.S. Rep. Jasmine Crockett, who is running against Talarico for the nomination, has also been on the show.

The Trump administration has taken steps to clamp down on talk shows, which the FCC has suggested may be “motivated by partisan purposes.” Earlier in the week, late-night host Stephen Colbert said CBS executives had pulled an appearance by Talarico on his program over fears it ran afoul of equal time provisions.

The FCC issued new guidance in January to late-night and daytime hosts that they needed to give political candidates equal time. There are exceptions to the rule, including for newscasts, “bona fide” interview programs, and coverage of live events or documentaries. Carr has raised questions about the talk show exemption and whether it should stand.

Assured Voucher

Answer to win daily Rewards!

Back

Q. How much does a celebrity’s social media presence affect your movie choice?

Please wait a moment.

“The FCC has not been presented with any evidence that the interview portion of any late night or daytime television talk show program on air presently would qualify for the bona fide news exemption,” according to the agency’s public notice last month.

Carr, a Trump appointee, suggested last year that investigating “The View,” whose hosts have frequently been critical of the Republican president, might be “worthwhile.”

The FCC has not responded to a message seeking comment on “The View” or Colbert’s show.

On Wednesday, Carr said watching the fallout from Colbert’s characterization of what happened with Talarico “was probably one of the most fun days I’ve had in the job,” adding that the candidate “took advantage” of media attention ”apparently for the purpose of raising money and getting clicks.”

The equal time provision applies only to broadcast, not streaming or internet programs. Colbert later posted the Talarico interview to YouTube, where it’s been viewed more than 7.5 million times — several times what the comic’s CBS program draws each night.

Talarico reported that he had raised $2.5 million in campaign donations in the 24 hours after the Colbert interview.

A spokesperson for “The View” on Thursday declined to comment on Carr’s statement.

CBS says Colbert was provided “legal guidance” that broadcasting the interview with Talarico could trigger the equal time rule. Colbert said on his show Tuesday night that while Carr said in January he was thinking about getting rid of the exemption for late-night talk shows, “CBS generously did it for him.”

Meg Kinnard can be reached at http://x.com/MegKinnard

This article was generated from an automated news agency feed without modifications to text.

Latest

Toy Story 5 trailer OUT: Woody and Buzz Lightyear reunite as toys confront the digital age

Toy Story 5 trailer reveals new characters like Atlas the GPS hippo and child Blaze, while familiar favorites return. The film addresses modern challenges of te

House of the Dragon season 3 teaser: Rhaenyra returns with new dragons as more battles await

House of the Dragon season 3 teaser: The upcoming season is set to be the penultimate. HBO confirmed a planned four-season run for the show.

O Romeo box office collection day 7: Shahid Kapoor and Triptii Dimri film dips again, takes India total to over ₹47 cr

O Romeo box office collection day 7: The film released in theatres on February 13. O Romeo is produced under Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment.

Akshay Kumar condemns racism against North-East Indians after incident on Wheel of Fortune

Akshay Kumar condemned racism against North-East Indians during a recent episode of Wheel of Fortune India, sharing personal experiences of discrimination. His

Mahieka Sharma reacts as boyfriend Hardik Pandya says ‘I love you’, shares their romantic video on her 25th birthday

In the clip, Mahieka Sharma and Hardik Pandya spoke, laughed, hugged and held hands as they sat outdoors. Fireworks were seen going off in the background.

Topics

From scholars to slaves: Decoding the 119 Articles of the Taliban’s new social hierarchy

The Taliban's new 119-article penal code, De Mahakumu Jazaai Osulnama, legalises wife-beating and creates a four-tier caste system. Know the chilling details of

21 February and the politics of remembrance: Preserving Bangladesh’s language legacy

At the Shaheed Minar in Dhaka, people gather annually-- often barefoot--to lay flowers in remembrance. The ritual is solemn, emotional and deeply rooted in nati

India nears sea-based nuclear triad with third Arihant-Class submarine INS Aridhaman: 7,000-tonnes, SLBMs and absolute dominance

INS Aridhaman: India’s third nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN), INS Aridhaman, is expected to enter service in the coming months. 

New Delhi Marathon 2026: Delhi Metro to start services at 3:30 AM on February 22

New Delhi Marathon 2026: The New Delhi Marathon is an annual running event with a full marathon distance, also termed as the National Championship, presented b

Norway reiterates rejection of Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ after US claim

Norway is among several European countries, including France, Germany, and Britain, that have stayed out of the controversial board, which Trump formally launch

Why Buenos Aires came to standstill? The new challenge Argentina is facing – Explained

Argentinian President Javier Milei’s proposed labour reforms sparked widespread strikes across Buenos Aires, disrupting public transport, forcing shops to clo
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img