14.1 C
Delhi
Thursday, February 19, 2026

NEET PG counselling 2025: Cut-off reduction makes 95,913 more eligible; NBEMS tells SC it had no role

The National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences (NBEMS) has informed the Supreme Court of India that 95,913 additional candidates have become eligible to participate in counselling for NEET PG counselling 2025 after the qualifying cut-off percentile was lowered.

In an affidavit placed before the court, the examination body said that any interference with the revised criteria at this stage would directly affect these newly eligible candidates, according to

“It is ex-facie apparent that pursuant to the lowering of cut off, 95,913 additional candidates have now become eligible to participate in the counselling for NEET PG 2025,” the affidavit stated,

reports.

NBEMS distances itself from policy decision

NBEMS told the court that it had no role in deciding the reduction of qualifying percentiles and that its function is limited to conducting the examination and publishing results based on directions issued by competent authorities,

reports.

In a reply sworn by its law officer, the body said: “The role of NBEMS is strictly limited to conducting the NEET PG examination in a fair and transparent manner, evaluating answers, and handing over the final results to the concerned Counselling Authority.”

The affidavit added that the decision to revise the percentile “falls exclusively within the domain” of the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and the National Medical Commission (NMC).

How the revision was implemented

According to the submission, the Union Health Ministry communicated on January 9 that the qualifying percentile for the third round of NEET PG counselling 2025-26 had been reduced and directed NBEMS to publish revised results. NBEMS said it issued the notification on January 13 in compliance and forwarded the updated results to the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) the same day,

reports.

Under the revised criteria:

  • The minimum qualifying percentile for Unreserved candidates was reduced from the 50th percentile to the 7th percentile.

  • For Unreserved Persons with Disabilities candidates, it was reduced to the 5th percentile.

  • For Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and Other Backward Classes candidates, the percentile was reduced to zero.

This corresponds to cut-off scores that allow candidates with marks as low as minus 40 out of 800 to participate in the counselling process.

Reason cited: Vacant postgraduate seats

The revision came after more than 18,000 postgraduate medical seats remained vacant across the country. Authorities moved to widen the pool of eligible candidates to ensure these seats could be filled during subsequent counselling rounds.

NBEMS placed data before the court to show that the reduction significantly expanded eligibility and argued that any judicial order now would affect candidates who are not parties to the case,

reports.

Challenge before the court

The Supreme Court is hearing petitions that question the legality of the cut-off reduction. Petitioners have argued that the decision violates Articles 14 and 21 of the Constitution and alters eligibility conditions after the selection process had already begun.

The court had earlier issued notices to the Union government, NBEMS, NMC, and other authorities on February 4.

Reference to earlier High Court ruling

NBEMS also pointed to a similar challenge that was dismissed by the

Delhi High Court. In its January 21 decision, the High Court found no arbitrariness in lowering the eligibility percentile and held that concerns about dilution of merit were not supported by empirical data, reports.

The High Court observed that lowering the eligibility threshold for counselling does not by itself determine admission, which continues to depend on merit during seat allocation.

The issue before the bench

The case now places before the Supreme Court a narrow but consequential question. Whether the eligibility threshold for a national entrance examination can be recalibrated after results are declared in order to address unfilled seats.

And whether such recalibration affects fairness in a process that functions as both a ranking mechanism and a gatekeeping test.

NBEMS has maintained that it is not the decision maker in this dispute. Its affidavit frames the organisation as an implementing agency acting on directions issued by the health ministry and regulatory authorities. The court’s eventual ruling will determine whether that administrative distinction is sufficient in law when the consequences reach candidates already inside the counselling system.

Ready to navigate global policies? Secure your overseas future. Get expert guidance now!

Latest

School assembly news headlines, February 19: Top India, world, sports, business news

School Assembly News Headlines for February 19: From AI investments in India to rising global tensions, today’s news highlights technology, law and internatio

Norman C. Francis, civil rights champion and recipient of Presidential Medal of Freedom, dies at 94

Norman C. Francis, a civil rights pioneer and champion...

Trump administration clears over 40,000 for student loan forgiveness: What you need to know about IDR and PSLF eligibility

News News: The Trump administration has identified more than 40,000 additional borrowers eligible for federal student loan forgiveness in January, according to

Rejected once, hired later: How this Indian student won an offer from Nvidia

Careers News: Sylendran Arunagiri began planning his move from India to the United States in 2023, the advice he received was cautious. Friends and mentors warn

The price of prestige: Why did elite universities open their doors to Jeffrey Epstein?

News News: Their campuses signal permanence. Their laboratories produce knowledge that can alter the course of medicine, technology and public policy. Yet behin

Topics

Is India last lifeline for China’s sinking economy? Why the Dragon’s eyes are locked on Delhi

Recent data shows growing pressure on China’s economy. Factory activity has slowed, the property sector is weak and export-focussed companies face trade barri

School assembly news headlines, February 19: Top India, world, sports, business news

School Assembly News Headlines for February 19: From AI investments in India to rising global tensions, today’s news highlights technology, law and internatio

Canada rewrites immigration rules to recruit skilled workers and military talent

Canada revised its immigration rules, adding new Express Entry priority categories for researchers, health-care workers, aviation professionals and select milit

From Rafale to subs: India-France seal ‘Special Global Strategic Partnership’ – Why it matters

The deal points to a growing level of trust between the two countries in critical security areas.

Trump’s Board of Peace meets for first time Thursday amid Gaza strain

Trump’s ambitious Board of Peace meets in Washington aiming to reshape Gaza’s future and global conflict diplomacy, but mounting violence and stalled ceasef

Do not give away Diego Garcia: Trump warns UK over Chagos deal

Donald Trump urged Britain not to transfer the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, warning a 100-year lease on Diego Garcia risks weakening UK control and undermining

No Dhurandhar show, India return to anchor role in T20 World Cup

After teasing the fans with a list of high totals over the last year and a half, India have gone back to the anchor role in the T20 World Cup 2026. Why?

India’s BPCL makes first ever Venezuelan oil purchase, HMEL returns after 2 years

Bharat Petroleum buys Venezuelan oil for the first time while HPCL Mittal Energy makes its first Venezuelan purchase in two years, signaling India’s crude div
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img