US Iran tension LIVE updates: Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, said Tuesday that US President Donald Trump would not succeed in undermining or destroying the Islamic Republic, as negotiations between Iran and the United States were underway in Geneva, as reported by AFP.
Here’s what Khamenei said
“In one of his recent speeches, the US president said that for 47 years America has not succeeded in destroying the Islamic republic… I tell you: you will not succeed either,” Khamenei said in a speech, AFP reported.
“We constantly hear that they have sent a warship towards Iran. A warship is certainly a dangerous weapon, but even more dangerous is the weapon capable of sinking it,” he said.
Khamenei expressed scepticism over the outcome of the negotiations with the US. “If there are to be negotiations — because there is no real room for negotiation — determining the outcome of the negotiations in advance is a mistake and madness,” he said, referring to US calls for Iran to abandon its nuclear programme, AFP reported.
Iran said Tuesday that it would temporarily shut down the Strait of Hormuz to conduct live-fire military exercises, signalling a rare show of strength as its representatives engaged in another round of indirect negotiations with the United States in Geneva over its contentious nuclear program, as reported by the Associated Press.
Araghchi says, ‘I am in Geneva with real ideas’
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who is leading the talks for Iran, met with the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency Monday in Geneva.
“I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” Araghchi wrote on X. “What is not on the table: submission before threats.”
This is the first time Tehran has declared a closure of the vital waterway—through which roughly 20% of global oil shipments transit—since Washington began issuing threats and deploying additional military forces to the region. The move represents a further escalation in a weeks-long confrontation that risks sparking a broader conflict in the Middle East, the report stated.
As negotiations got underway, Iran’s state media reported that live missiles had been launched toward the Strait of Hormuz and that the waterway would be shut for several hours due to “safety and maritime concerns.”
The semiofficial Tasnim News Agency, which is closely aligned with the country’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, said missiles fired from within Iran and along its coastline successfully hit their intended targets in the Strait.
Get all the US Iran tension LIVE updates here on Mint.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: US must drop threat of using force against Iran, says Iran foreign minister
The United States should immediately desist from threatening the use of force against Iran, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Tuesday, as reported by Reuters.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: Iran president says open to ‘verification’ Tehran not seeking nuclear weapon
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said, “We are absolutely not seeking nuclear weapons,” Pezeshkian said in an interview published on Tuesday. “If anyone wants to verify this, we are open to such verification to take place.” (AFP)
US Iran tension LIVE updates: US must drop threat of using force against Iran, says Iran foreign minister
The United States should immediately desist from threatening the use of force against Iran, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Tuesday, as reported by Reuters.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: Iran foreign minister says ‘progress made’ in nuclear talks with U.S. in Geneva
Iran and the United States reached an understanding on the main “guiding principles” in a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday but work still needs to be done, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said, as reported by Reuters.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: Oman says Iran, US made ‘good progress’ in Geneva talks: FM
The US and Iran made “good progress” during a fresh round of talks in Geneva on Tuesday, the foreign ministry of mediator Oman said on social media, AFP reported.
“Today’s indirect negotiations between The Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States of America in Geneva concluded with good progress towards identifying common goals and relevant technical issues,” Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi wrote on X.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: Iran foreign minister says ‘progress made’ in nuclear talks with U.S. in Geneva
Iran and the United States reached an understanding on the main “guiding principles” in a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday but work still needs to be done, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said, as reported by Reuters.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: US must drop threat of using force against Iran, says Iran foreign minister
The United States should immediately desist from threatening the use of force against Iran, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Tuesday, as reported by Reuters.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: Iran foreign minister says ‘progress made’ in nuclear talks with U.S. in Geneva
Iran and the United States reached an understanding on the main “guiding principles” in a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday but work still needs to be done, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said, as reported by Reuters.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: US, Iran delegations leave talks location at Omani ambassador’s residence, says report
The US and Iranian delegations taking part in talks between the two countries in Geneva on Tuesday have left the venue at the Omani ambassador’s residence, an AFP journalist reported. (AFP)
US Iran tension LIVE updates: Iran temporarily closed the Strait of Hormuz as it held latest round of indirect talks with US
Iran announced the temporary closure of the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday for live fire military drills in a rare show of force as its negotiators held another round of indirect talks with the United States in Geneva over its disputed nuclear program, AP reporte.
US Iran tension LIVE updates: Khamenei says US ‘will not succeed’ in destroying Iran
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Tuesday that US President Donald Trump would not succeed in destroying the Islamic republic, as talks between the two countries took place in Geneva, AFP reported.
About the Author
A journalist covering International Relations, and Business.



