Eight backcountry skiers have been found dead and one remains missing after an avalanche near Lake Tahoe, making it the deadliest avalanche in the United States in more than four decades, authorities said on Wednesday.
According to the Associated Press, Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon confirmed during a news conference that families have been notified and that the mission has moved from rescue to recovery.
“It is the deadliest avalanche in the US since 1981,” Moon said, referring to the tragedy on Mount Rainier when 11 climbers were killed.
The avalanche struck on Tuesday morning in the Castle Peak area of the Sierra Nevada after a powerful winter storm dumped multiple feet of snow across the region.
Authorities said 15 skiers were on a guided three-day backcountry trek near Lake Tahoe. Six were found alive. Two were hospitalized after being rescued from the snow.
Search and rescue crews were dispatched after a 911 call reported that skiers had been buried. Emergency beacons also helped alert authorities.
Heavy snowfall, high winds and the threat of more slides slowed the response.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.



