25.1 C
Delhi
Sunday, February 22, 2026

Delcy Rodriguez orders departure of Cuban security as US pressure fractures Caracas-Havana ties

Under intense pressure from Washington to dismantle Latin America’s most significant leftist pact, Cuban doctors and security consultants have begun exiting Venezuela, as reported by Reuters.

Unlike her predecessor, the deposed Nicolas Maduro, or the late Hugo Chavez — both of whom relied on elite Cuban forces — Interim President Delcy Rodriguez has now entrusted her personal safety to Venezuelan bodyguards.

According to the Cuban government, 32 Cubans were killed during the January 3 US military operation that captured Maduro. Those personnel were part of a deep-rooted security pact dating back to the late 2000s, which saw Cuban intelligence twitter-tweetded within Venezuela’s military and the DGCIM counterintelligence unit — a pillar in neutralizing domestic dissent.

“The Cuban influence was absolutely essential” to the survival of the Chavista government, Alejandro Velasco, an associate professor of history at New York University and an expert on Venezuela, told Reuters.

A former intelligence official states that several Cuban advisers have already been stripped of their DGCIM posts. Reuters reports that cohorts of medical staff and security experts have been filmed departing for Cuba in recent weeks.

A source close to the ruling Socialist Party told Reuters that Rodriguez ordered the departures specifically to appease US demands. This shift — removing Cubans from the presidential guard and intelligence apparatus — marks a previously unreported turning point in regional dynamics.

US wants to severe Venezuela-Cuba ties

Before the mission to oust Maduro, thousands of Cuban professionals, including doctors and coaches, staffed Venezuelan social programs initiated by Chavez. In return, Caracas provided Havana with vital oil shipments. Following the January attack, US President Donald Trump pledged to permanently sever this bilateral security bond.

“Cuba lived, for many years, on large amounts of OIL and MONEY from Venezuela. In return, Cuba provided ‘Security Services’ for the last two Venezuelan dictators, BUT NOT ANYMORE!,” he wrote on Truth Social on January 11.

A White House official said the US has “a very good relationship with the leaders of Venezuela” and that it believes that Rodriguez’s “own self-interest aligns with advancing our key objectives.”

Dissolving the Venezuela-Cuba axis is a cornerstone of Washington’s broader ambition to topple Havana’s communist administration. Since mid-December, a US blockade has prevented Venezuelan oil from reaching the island, creating a severe economic stranglehold. While the Cuban government has expressed a willingness for “equal terms” dialogue, it continues to condemn the maritime blockade and vows to resist American interventionism.

Though Rodriguez — the daughter of a Marxist guerrilla — is a longtime member of the ruling Socialist Party and a close confidante of the Cuban leadership, she is now navigating a delicate transition. Her pivot away from Cuban protection suggests a pragmatic response to the reality of US influence in the post-Maduro era, reported Reuters.

Latest

Is Trump eying to assassinate Khamenei? US troops’ movement intensifies in Portugal and Gulf bases

US-Iran tensions escalate with Trump’s 10-15 day uranium enrichment ultimatum nearing deadline, as reports claim US eyes assassinating Supreme Leader Ayatolla

Cover Story newsletter: Putin’s forever war

Deputy editor Edward Carr reveals how The Economist crafts weekly covers on Putin, Ukraine, and the modern Robin Hood state

Erika Kirk ‘affair’: Debunking bizarre cheating rumors and boyfriend buzz; ‘Candace Owens needs to…’

Erika Kirk has faced intense public scrutiny ever since she became the Turning Point USA CEO and now bizarre claims have been made about her having an affair.

Former American Idol contestant arrested for allegedly shooting wife dead

Caleb Flynn pleaded not guilty to multiple charges, with bond set at $2 million. The investigation has faced scrutiny from his attorney.

NYC blizzard warning: Mamdani’s ‘shoveling snow’ appeals ridiculed for needing ID; ‘can’t make this up’

Zohran Mamdani's appeals to New Yorkers to help shovel snow were met with ridicule over the alleged need of an ID, even as a blizzard warning was sounded.

Topics

Ram Gopal Varma says Toxic-Dhurandhar 2 clash isn’t north vs south, but ‘treating audience like dumb vs respecting them’

Ram Gopal Varma took to social media to share a note addressing the big-screen clash between Yash’s Toxic and Ranveer Singh’s Dhurandhar: The Revenge.

Is Trump eying to assassinate Khamenei? US troops’ movement intensifies in Portugal and Gulf bases

US-Iran tensions escalate with Trump’s 10-15 day uranium enrichment ultimatum nearing deadline, as reports claim US eyes assassinating Supreme Leader Ayatolla

Cover Story newsletter: Putin’s forever war

Deputy editor Edward Carr reveals how The Economist crafts weekly covers on Putin, Ukraine, and the modern Robin Hood state

Erika Kirk ‘affair’: Debunking bizarre cheating rumors and boyfriend buzz; ‘Candace Owens needs to…’

Erika Kirk has faced intense public scrutiny ever since she became the Turning Point USA CEO and now bizarre claims have been made about her having an affair.

Indian Matchmaking’s Sima Taparia shares dating advice for Indian couples: ‘In 2-3 months, give a yes or no’

Sima Taparia advises Indian couples to decide on a match within 2-3 months, saying it's enough time to determine compatibility.

IND vs SA Super 8 weather & pitch report from Ahmedabad: Advantage South Africa

IND vs SA pitch and weather report: Ahmedabad set for a high-scoring clash with heavy dew likely to influence the result.

Mahesh Babu’s look as Lord Rama in SS Rajamouli’s Varanasi leaked? Fans wonder: ‘Can Ranbir Kapoor match up in Ramayana’

Mahesh Babu plays Lord Rama in a brief flashback in SS Rajamouli's upcoming film Varanasi. The film also stars Priyanka Chopra and Prithviraj Sukumaran.

The Kerala Story director Sudipto Sen says CBFC is denying certification to his film Charak: ‘Do not have a clear idea’

Filmmaker Sudipto Sen has said that the CBFC has recommended cuts for Charak. However, he maintained that the reasons behind the denial remain unclear.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img