It was meant to be about geopolitics and Gaza. Instead, a joke about “young, handsome men” grabbed the spotlight.
US President Donald Trump mixed humour with high-stakes diplomacy on Thursday as he inaugurated his new Board of Peace, pledging billions for Gaza reconstruction — and drawing laughter with off-script remarks aimed at Paraguayan President Santiago Pena.
Welcoming Pena to the Washington gathering, Trump went off script.
“It’s always nice to be young and handsome. It doesn’t mean we have to like you. I don’t like young, handsome men. Women — I like. Men, I don’t have any interest,” Trump said, as chuckles rippled through the room.
Pena, 47, is Paraguay’s youngest president of the democratic era. An economist and former finance minister, he took office in August 2023 after winning the presidency as the candidate of the Colorado Party.
GAZA FUNDING AND BIG PROMISES
Beyond the lighter moment, Trump used the event to outline the Board of Peace’s immediate focus: Gaza.
“We will help Gaza. We will straighten it out. We’ll make it successful,” Trump said, holding up a document listing pledges as the disco beats of “YMCA” played in the background. “We will make it peaceful, and we will do things like that in other spots. Spots will come up, things will happen.”
Trump announced that the United States would contribute $10 billion to the initiative, despite his administration having cut back foreign aid elsewhere. According to the White House, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates each pledged at least $1 billion. Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said more than $6.5 billion had been pledged overall — a figure that appeared to exclude Trump’s $10 billion commitment.
“Together we can achieve the dream of bringing lasting harmony to a region tortured by centuries of war, suffering,” Trump said.
A NEW GLOBAL BODY
The Board of Peace was formally unveiled at the former headquarters of the United States Institute of Peace, which has been restructured and renamed under Trump.
The president will wield veto power over the board and may remain its head even after leaving office. Countries seeking permanent membership beyond a two-year term would need to contribute $1 billion.
The board grew out of the administration’s October ceasefire deal for Gaza, brokered with Egypt and Qatar after two years of war between Israel and Hamas. A second phase of the plan calls for the disarmament of Hamas.
With inputs from agencies



