25.1 C
Delhi
Friday, February 20, 2026

Real Madrid send ‘all available evidence’ to UEFA for Vinicius racism row

Real Madrid have formally provided UEFA with what they described as “all available evidence” concerning the alleged racist abuse directed at Vinicius Junior during Tuesday’s Champions League knockout round play-off first leg against SL Benfica in Lisbon.

In a detailed statement issued on Thursday, the Spanish club confirmed their full cooperation with the disciplinary proceedings opened by European football’s governing body following the incident that led to a temporary suspension of the match at the Estdio da Luz.

“Real Madrid C.F. announces that today it has provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred on Tuesday, February 17, during the Champions League match that our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica,” the club said.

“Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.”

MATCH HALTED UNDER PROTOCOL

The controversy erupted shortly after Vincius scored five minutes into the second half to give Real Madrid a 1-0 lead. The Brazilian forward then reported to referee Francois Letexier that he had been subjected to a racist slur.

Real Madrid later identified the alleged offender as Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni. The accusation prompted the implementation of UEFA’s anti-racism protocol, resulting in a stoppage that lasted approximately 10 to 11 minutes while officials assessed the situation.

The match subsequently resumed, and Vincius completed the full 90 minutes. Real Madrid went on to secure a narrow but valuable away win in the first leg of the tie.

UEFA confirmed on Wednesday that it had appointed an Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector to conduct a formal investigation into the events. The governing body has not yet set a timeline for the outcome of its inquiry.

BENFICA STAND BY PRESTIANNI

Prestianni strongly denied the allegation in a statement posted on social media, saying Vincius had “misunderstood what he thinks he heard.” SL Benfica also issued a firm response, backing their player and rejecting what they characterised as attempts to tarnish his reputation.

The Portuguese club said they would cooperate fully with UEFA’s investigation while defending their winger against what they termed a “smear campaign.”

The matter has drawn further attention due to post-match comments made by Benfica head coach Jose Mourinho. Speaking to Amazon Prime, Mourinho said both players had offered differing accounts of the incident.

“I told him, when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back,” Mourinho said, referring to Vincius. “They told me different things. But I don’t believe in one or another. I want to be independent.”

He added that “something happens, always” in matches where Vincius plays.

UK-based anti-discrimination organisation Kick It Out criticised Mourinho’s remarks, describing them as “gaslighting” in the context of racism allegations.

VINICIUS: NOTHING NEW IN MY LIFE

Vinicius later addressed the incident on Instagram in Portuguese, delivering an emotional response to what he described as a familiar experience.

“Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are,” he wrote.

“But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family’s.”

The forward also expressed frustration with the in-game handling of the episode, noting that he received a yellow card for celebrating his goal and questioning the effectiveness of the protocol implemented during the stoppage.

Vincius has previously been the target of racist abuse in Spain and has been vocal in his calls for stronger action from football authorities. His latest allegation adds to ongoing concerns about discrimination in European football, particularly on high-profile stages such as the Champions League.

REAL REITERATE ANTI-RACISM STANCE

In their statement, Real Madrid expressed gratitude for what they described as “unanimous support and affection” shown towards their player from across the football community.

“Real Madrid will continue to work, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society,” the club said.

With the return leg scheduled to take place in Madrid next Wednesday, the focus will inevitably remain not only on the sporting contest but also on the outcome of UEFA’s investigation, which could carry significant disciplinary consequences depending on its findings.

Until then, the matter remains under formal review, with both clubs maintaining their respective positions as European football once again confronts the issue of racism on its biggest stage.

Latest

Olympics-Curling-World champions Britain to play Canada for men’s curling gold

OLYMPICS-2026-CURLING/ (PIX):Olympics-Curling-World champions Britain to play Canada for men's curling gold

Longtime Dodgers executive Lon Rosen becomes Lakers’ president of business operations

Longtime Dodgers executive Lon Rosen becomes Lakers' president of business operations

For Honey, it’s not just all about money

Big money also brings big responsibilities, says in-form golfer who got the highest bid at 72 The League auction

Olympics-Freestyle-China’s Gu bounces back to land into halfpipe final

OLYMPICS-2026-FREESTYLE:Olympics-Freestyle-China's Gu bounces back to land into halfpipe final

Overtime and shootout rules at the Olympics change as the tournament unfolds

Overtime and shootout rules at the Olympics change as the tournament unfolds

Topics

‘I am your soldier, how can you deny us?’: The chilling plea of a son with a disabled father as execution deadline looms

The Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) has released ID cards of 8 captive Pakistani soldiers, contradicting ISPR's AI-fabricated claims. With the Feb 21 deadline

British-era tractor lying in scrap sold as antique for Rs 1.25 Cr after video goes viral – Details

According to a viral post circulating online, the enthusiast expressed interest in acquiring the old tractor. The buyer reportedly purchased the old tractor for

Trump’s ‘stand up’ stunt for Shehbaz Sharif: 2026 Board of Peace summit viral highlights & 200% tariff claims

US President Trump ordered Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif to stand at the 2026 Board of Peace Summit while claiming he averted a nuclear war with 200% tariffs. See

J-K: Major tragedies were averted by security forces in the last two months

Major tragedies were averted by security forces in the last two months. Six IEDs were detected and defused, hence neutralizing multiple terrorist plots targetin

Fire breaks out in Hyderabad building housing coaching institutes; 50 students rescued

Fire-fighting personnel rescued about 50 students trapped in an IT coaching institute on the second floor. The incident occurred at Maitrivanam in the heart of

SC on West Bengal SIR: Court orders deployment of judicial officers to oversee exercise

West Bengal SIR: Bench of Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipin Pancholi also observed that a “trust deficit” betw

Major electoral update: Punjab, Haryana & Maharashtra face voter roll overhaul

The Election Commission has ordered a Special Intensive Revision of voter rolls across multiple states alongside Census 2027 preparations.  

Bangladesh restores all visa services for Indians: Tarique Rahman’s government signals New Delhi thaw

The Bangladesh High Commission in Delhi has resumed full visa services, including tourism and medical, following the swearing-in of PM Tarique Rahman. Check the
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img