28.1 C
Delhi
Sunday, February 22, 2026

Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

HONG KONG, Feb 21 (Reuters) – Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire to resettle nearly 2,000 affected households.

The prices offered will be HK$8,000 per sq ft without a land premium payment, and HK$10,500 per sq ft for those receiving such a payment, authorities said on Saturday, three months after the deadly fire killed 168 in November.

Residents of Wang Fuk Court in Hong Kong’s northern Tai Po district have been scrambling to find a new place to live.

“We believe the proposed price is sufficient for the affected residents to relocate and secure long-term housing,” said Wong Wai-lun, Hong Kong’s deputy financial secretary, who added selling the property to the government is not “mandatory”.

The total outlay, estimated at HK$6.8 billion, will drop by HK$2.8 billion after a contribution from a relief fund and could be lower still after insurance compensation is factored in, the officials said.

‘IMPOSSIBLE’ TO SATISFY EVERYONE

A Social Welfare Department survey last month showed that 74% of Wang Fuk Court owners would consider accepting the buyout of their property rights, while 9% would only accept on-site redevelopment, officials in the Asian financial hub told a media briefing.

“It is just that in formulating the government’s package, it is impossible to satisfy the wish of everyone,” Wong said.

The government ruled out the possibility of using the original site for future residential purposes but is considering building community facilities such as a park at the site.

The government also offered an apartment exchange programme for the 4,600 affected tenants, who lived in nearly 2,000 housing units at the complex.

Hong Kong’s Housing Bureau has rolled out a scheme offering 3,900 housing units across 10 subsidised housing projects for such an exchange, Secretary for Housing Winnie Ho said.

An affected resident surnamed Cheung told Reuters he is inclined to accept the flat exchange plan because it will be harder to secure a home with cash, as property prices have since risen in the Tai Po area.

As soon as May or June the owners who are prepared to accept the arrangement will be able to sign provisional agreements with the government, according to Wong, with the first payment from the government to be delivered in the third quarter this year.

($1=7.8148 Hong Kong dollars)

(Reporting by Jessie Pang, Clare Jim and Selena Li in Hong Kong; Editing by Clarence Fernandez and Sharon Singleton)

Latest

Can parents, in-laws, or a spouse be your landlord under Draft Tax Rules 2026?

Draft Rule 205 does not ban rent paid to relatives. HRA claims remain valid if there is a genuine rental agreement and the landlord declares the rental income

‘I earn ₹1.3 lakh a month and don’t plan to marry soon’: Redditor seeks advice on buying a 1 BHK in Mumbai

Mumbai real estate: A 25-year-old professional earning ₹1.3 lakh a month has triggered an online debate after she shared her dilemma on purchasing a 1 BHK fl

Ghaziabad joins ₹3 crore housing club as Delhi–Meerut Expressway drives premium real estate shift

Ghaziabad real estate: Experts say ₹3 crore homes remain relatively attractive versus Noida and Gurugram, with the Delhi–Meerut Expressway driving market s

Are you an NRI planning to sell property in India? Here’s how the date of transfer impacts taxation

In most cases, when an NRI sells property in India, the date of registration of the sale deed is treated as the date of transfer for capital gains tax purposes

‘I’ve identified a nice property, but…’ Bengaluru techie reconsiders home loan decision amid AI layoff fears

Bengaluru real estate: AI job fears dent buyer's confidence as ₹1.8 lakh EMI raises home loan servicing concerns; Experts advise caution

Topics

India-US Reschedule Key meeting on interim trade deal as negotiations continue

India and the US rescheduled their February 23 trade negotiators meeting in Washington after the recent 6-3 US Supreme Court ruling, striking down Trump's globa

Air India cancels New York, Newark flights for Feb 23 due to severe winter storm warning

The airline announced that heavy snowfall in New York, New Jersey, and surrounding areas on February 22–23 may cause major flight disruptions, leading to prec

US moving troops across Middle East bases amid escalating tensions with Iran

Similar troop movements have been observed at multiple US installations across the Middle East, including Bahrain, home to the Navy’s 5th Fleet, as well as in

‘Decision made to attack Iran’: Former CIA officer John Kiriakou claims US strike imminent

Former CIA officer John Kiriakou has claimed that a final decision has been reached by the United States to initiate a military strike against Iran early next w

Ram Gopal Varma says Toxic-Dhurandhar 2 clash isn’t north vs south, but ‘treating audience like dumb vs respecting them’

Ram Gopal Varma took to social media to share a note addressing the big-screen clash between Yash’s Toxic and Ranveer Singh’s Dhurandhar: The Revenge.

Is Trump eying to assassinate Khamenei? US troops’ movement intensifies in Portugal and Gulf bases

US-Iran tensions escalate with Trump’s 10-15 day uranium enrichment ultimatum nearing deadline, as reports claim US eyes assassinating Supreme Leader Ayatolla

Cover Story newsletter: Putin’s forever war

Deputy editor Edward Carr reveals how The Economist crafts weekly covers on Putin, Ukraine, and the modern Robin Hood state

Erika Kirk ‘affair’: Debunking bizarre cheating rumors and boyfriend buzz; ‘Candace Owens needs to…’

Erika Kirk has faced intense public scrutiny ever since she became the Turning Point USA CEO and now bizarre claims have been made about her having an affair.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img