25.1 C
Delhi
Friday, February 20, 2026

‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ row: SC disposes of plea against film after makers drop controversial title

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday disposed of a plea challenging the upcoming film earlier titled ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ after filmmaker Neeraj Pandey informed the top court that the controversial title and all related promotional material had been withdrawn.

A Bench of Justices B.V. Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan took on record an affidavit filed by Pandey undertaking that the controversial title would no longer be used “in any manner whatsoever” and that all publicity content carrying the earlier name had been removed.

Recording the developments, the Justice Nagarathna-led Bench closed the proceedings, observing that no further directions were required in the matter.

During the hearing, counsel appearing for the makers submitted that the title had already been withdrawn and the controversy surrounding the film should now come to an end.

The apex court observed that once the undertaking had been given and accepted, no fresh criminal proceedings should be initiated in relation to the impugned title.

Disposing of the petition, the Supreme Court remarked that the controversy relating to the film title should now be treated as closed and disposed of the petition.

The public interest litigation (PIL) before the apex court had alleged that the film’s title and storyline promoted caste- and religion-based stereotyping and hurt the dignity of the Brahmin community.

The plea contended that associating the caste identifier “Pandit” with the term “ghooskhor” (bribe-taker) created a defamatory stereotype against an identifiable community and violated constitutional protections under Articles 14, 19(2), 21, 25 and 51A(e).

Following the Supreme Court’s rap, filmmaker Neeraj Pandey filed an affidavit assuring the top court that the controversial title had been “unequivocally withdrawn” and that the film does not insult or target any religion or community.

Last week, the Supreme Court came down heavily on the filmmakers over the title “Ghooskhor Pandat”, observing that freedom of speech and expression cannot be used as a licence to denigrate a section of society.

The Justice Nagarathna-led Bench had issued notice to the Centre, the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), and the filmmaker, while indicating that the film would not be permitted to release unless the title was changed.

“Freedom of speech and expression does not mean you can portray a community in a bad light,” the apex court had remarked, cautioning that such nomenclature could disturb social harmony at a time when societal tensions already exist.

In a related development, the Delhi High Court earlier disposed of a similar plea seeking a stay on the release of the film after Netflix submitted that it would change the title and had removed all promotional content bearing the earlier name from social media.

Taking the statement on record, a single-judge Bench of Justice Purushaindra Kumar Kaurav of the Delhi High Court observed that no further directions were required in view of the stand taken by the streaming platform.

Latest

Toy Story 5 trailer OUT: Woody and Buzz Lightyear reunite as toys confront the digital age

Toy Story 5 trailer reveals new characters like Atlas the GPS hippo and child Blaze, while familiar favorites return. The film addresses modern challenges of te

FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC’s ‘The View’ over equal time rule

FCC chairman says the agency is investigating ABC's 'The View' over equal time rule

House of the Dragon season 3 teaser: Rhaenyra returns with new dragons as more battles await

House of the Dragon season 3 teaser: The upcoming season is set to be the penultimate. HBO confirmed a planned four-season run for the show.

O Romeo box office collection day 7: Shahid Kapoor and Triptii Dimri film dips again, takes India total to over ₹47 cr

O Romeo box office collection day 7: The film released in theatres on February 13. O Romeo is produced under Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment.

Akshay Kumar condemns racism against North-East Indians after incident on Wheel of Fortune

Akshay Kumar condemned racism against North-East Indians during a recent episode of Wheel of Fortune India, sharing personal experiences of discrimination. His

Topics

‘I am your soldier, how can you deny us?’: The chilling plea of a son with a disabled father as execution deadline looms

The Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) has released ID cards of 8 captive Pakistani soldiers, contradicting ISPR's AI-fabricated claims. With the Feb 21 deadline

British-era tractor lying in scrap sold as antique for Rs 1.25 Cr after video goes viral – Details

According to a viral post circulating online, the enthusiast expressed interest in acquiring the old tractor. The buyer reportedly purchased the old tractor for

Trump’s ‘stand up’ stunt for Shehbaz Sharif: 2026 Board of Peace summit viral highlights & 200% tariff claims

US President Trump ordered Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif to stand at the 2026 Board of Peace Summit while claiming he averted a nuclear war with 200% tariffs. See

J-K: Major tragedies were averted by security forces in the last two months

Major tragedies were averted by security forces in the last two months. Six IEDs were detected and defused, hence neutralizing multiple terrorist plots targetin

Fire breaks out in Hyderabad building housing coaching institutes; 50 students rescued

Fire-fighting personnel rescued about 50 students trapped in an IT coaching institute on the second floor. The incident occurred at Maitrivanam in the heart of

SC on West Bengal SIR: Court orders deployment of judicial officers to oversee exercise

West Bengal SIR: Bench of Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipin Pancholi also observed that a “trust deficit” betw

Major electoral update: Punjab, Haryana & Maharashtra face voter roll overhaul

The Election Commission has ordered a Special Intensive Revision of voter rolls across multiple states alongside Census 2027 preparations.  

Bangladesh restores all visa services for Indians: Tarique Rahman’s government signals New Delhi thaw

The Bangladesh High Commission in Delhi has resumed full visa services, including tourism and medical, following the swearing-in of PM Tarique Rahman. Check the
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img