18.1 C
Delhi
Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Dozens of film figures condemn Berlin Film Festival ‘silence’ on Gaza

More than 80 film industry figures including Oscar-winning actors Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton issued a statement on Tuesday slamming the Berlin Film Festival’s “silence” on Gaza.

The signatories to the open letter, sent to AFP, said they were “appalled” by the festival’s “institutional silence” and “dismayed” at its “involvement in censoring artists who oppose Israel’s ongoing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza”.

Their statement came after the Berlinale’s jury president, German director Wim Wenders, answered a question on Gaza last week by saying: “We cannot really enter the field of politics.”

Prominent directors who signed Tuesday’s letter, coordinated by the Film Workers for Palestine collective, include British filmmaker Mike Leigh and the American Adam McKay.

The signatories include many artists who have presented work at the Berlin Film Festival. Swinton was herself last year awarded its prestigious Honorary Golden Bear award.

They said they “fervently disagree” with Wenders’s comments, arguing that filmmaking and politics cannot be separated.

“Just as the festival has made clear statements in the past about atrocities carried out against people in Iran and Ukraine, we call on the Berlinale to fulfil its moral duty and clearly state its opposition to Israel’s genocide,” the letter adds.

The signatories took exception not only to the Berlinale’s stance on Gaza, but also “the German state’s key role in enabling” Israel’s actions.

– ‘Media storm’ –

The festival has been hit by controversy over Gaza several times in recent years.

When asked about Germany’s support for Israel at a press conference on Thursday, Wenders said filmmakers had “to stay out of politics”.

“We have to do the work of people, not the work of politicians,” he said.

Fellow jury member Ewa Puszczynska said it was a “little bit unfair” to expect the jury to take a direct stance on the issue.

Their comments had already sparked a backlash. Award-winning Indian novelist Arundhati Roy cancelled a planned appearance at the festival, saying she was “shocked and disgusted” at the jury members’ comments.

On Saturday, the Berlinale put out a statement defending Wenders from the “media storm”, indicating that his remarks had been taken out of context.

Festival director Tricia Tuttle said that artists “are free to exercise their right of free speech in whatever way they choose” and should not “be expected to speak on every political issue raised to them unless they want to”.

In 2024, the festival’s documentary award went to “No Other Land”, which follows the dispossession of Palestinian communities in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

German government officials criticised “one-sided” remarks about Gaza by the directors of that film and others at that year’s awards ceremony.

The war in Gaza was sparked by Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,221 people, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Israel’s retaliation has left at least 71,000 people dead in Gaza, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory, whose figures the United Nations considers reliable.

agu-jsk/sbk

This article was generated from an automated news agency feed without modifications to text.

Latest

The hottest show in hockey, ‘Heated Rivalry,’ is embraced by fans and players at Winter Olympics

The hottest show in hockey, 'Heated Rivalry,' is embraced by fans and players at Winter Olympics

Juliette Binoche confronts aging’s difficult questions in Berlin competition entry ‘Queen at Sea’

FILMFESTIVAL-BERLIN/QUEEN AT SEA (TV, PIX):Juliette Binoche confronts aging's difficult questions in Berlin competition entry 'Queen at Sea'

Miley Cyrus reunites with ‘Hannah Montana’ era for 20th anniversary TV special hosted by Alex Cooper

Miley Cyrus is set to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Hannah Montana with a special hosted by Alex Cooper. The event will explore the show's cultural impact a

Salim Khan diagonsed with a blood clot, felt giddy before Salman Khan and family rushed him to the hospital

Salman Khan's father Salim was admitted to a hospital in Mumbai on Tuesday, February 17. Reports state that he was taken to Lilavati Hospital and one .

Salim Khan hospitalised in ICU: Salman Khan, Arbaaz Khan, Alvira and Arpita rush to visit; Javed Akhtar, Sanjay Dutt drop by

Family members of veteran screenwriter Salim Khan were seen arriving at Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai on Tuesday after the 90-year-old was admitted to t.

Topics

Chicago fire weather watch map: Check areas in Illinois under risk amid Oklahoma Panhandle wildfires

Dry and windy conditions are sweeping across the plains amid Oklahoma wildfires. NWS has issued a Fire Weather Watch for parts of northern Illinois and Chicago.

Who is Tony Clark’s brother, Greg? All on their family amid ex-MLBPA boss’s ‘affair’ with sister-in-law

Tony Clark resigned as head of the MLBPA amid reports of an inappropriate affair with his sister-in-law, reportedly the wife of his brother Greg.

Ashland, Kansas fire: Evacuation ordered after blaze in Beaver County, Oklahoma; check map as scary videos emerge

Ashland in Kansas is being evacuated after a wildfire rapidly spread after starting in Beaver County, Oklahoma and prompting evacuation in Englewood, Kansas.

Secrets, emails, scandal: How Epstein files brought down a UAE billionaire

Logistics giant DP World, which runs port terminals across six continents, announced that its chairman and CEO Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem had resigned and one Ess

US Capitol: Man with apparent shotgun arrested near West Front- 5 things to know

A suspect was detained near the U.S. Capitol with “what appeared to be a gun” by the Capitol police. Here's what we know till now

PAK vs NAM: Bruised Pakistan hope to avoid Namibian nightmare in must-win game

T20 World Cup: Pakistan play their final group-stage game in the T20 World Cup against Namibia. A loss in this match will mean that Pakistan will get knocked ou

Tommaso Cioni: Insiders believe apology in order after name cleared in Nancy Guthrie kidnapping; ‘dragged through mud’

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos stated that the entire Guthrie family had been ruled out in Nancy Guthrie's case amid buzz about Tommaso Cioni, Annie Guthrie.

Iran has not accepted all Trump’s red lines, says JD Vance after Geneva talks

Vance signaled that Washington remains engaged in diplomacy, even as Trump warned of potential military action.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img