18.1 C
Delhi
Sunday, February 22, 2026

The $170Bn question: US SC junks Trump tariffs, but who will get the refunds?

After the US Supreme Court delivered a ruling invalidating the tariffs, the Trump administration has yet to give a clear response on what will happen to the billions of dollars US companies paid after Trump imposed tariffs on countries last year.

This comes as the administration – both formally and informally – has promised refunds of duties collected. However, neither the administration nor the justices have specified how the process would work.

With more than 3,00,000 businesses seeking refunds of $170 billion in tariffs, Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote during the hearing: “Refunds of billions of dollars would have significant consequences for the US Treasury.”

“The Court says nothing today about whether, and if so how, the Government should go about returning the billions of dollars that it has collected from importers. But that process is likely to be a ‘mess,’ as was acknowledged at oral argument,” he added.

That effectively means individual importers may have to file their own lawsuits for a chance at refunds, despite the government maintaining detailed records of tariff payments.

Speaking to CNN, trade attorney Ted Posner, a partner at Baker Botts, said: “The case was never about refunds, and it was inconceivable that the Supreme Court would get into the weeds of how you apply refunds.”

“We’re now talking to companies about the next steps, which means more waiting, this time for the Court of International Trade. Any refund process is going to require meticulous submissions, and for now, companies and even countries are left in limbo,” he added.

Earlier, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told Reuters that the agency has enough cash on hand to refund importers, but warned the process could take up to a year.

“It won’t be a problem if we have to do it, but I can tell you that if it happens — which I don’t think it’s going to — it’s just a corporate boondoggle,” Bessent said.

This would not be the first time the government has had to issue tariff refunds following a Supreme Court decision.

A 1998 ruling resulted in $730 million in refunds to American companies, though the process took two years.

Earlier on Friday, the US Supreme Court struck down President Donald Trump’s far-reaching global tariffs, handing him a significant setback on an issue central to his economic agenda.

The 6–3 decision centred on tariffs imposed under an emergency powers law, including the sweeping reciprocal tariffs Trump levied on nearly every country.

The majority held that the Constitution clearly grants Congress the power to impose taxes, including tariffs.

Trump, however, said “nothing changes” in the trade deal with India following the verdict and responded by announcing an additional 10 per cent global levy on imports.

Trump also lashed out at the justices who ruled against him, calling them “fools and lapdogs.”

“The Supreme Court’s ruling on tariffs is deeply disappointing, and I’m ashamed of certain members of the Court — absolutely ashamed — for not having the courage to do what’s right for our country,” Trump said at a White House news conference.

Latest

JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after January 6 attack

Until now, JPMorgan had never admitted that it closed Donald Trump's accounts in writing after January 6. The bank would only speak hypothetically about when th

Paramount Says Regulatory Waiting Period for Warner Bid Ends

Paramount Skydance Corp. said it has “no statutory impediment” in the US to closing its proposed $77.9 billion acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery Inc. af

Incensed Trump raises tariffs from 10 per cent to 15 per cent causing more trade turmoil

International Business News: TOI correspondent from Washington: US President Donald Trump on Saturday raised to 15 per cent the worldwide tariff (which he had e

US Supreme Court tariff ruling adds uncertainty to global trade outlook, offers limited relief: Analysts

International Business News: The US Supreme Court’s decision striking down tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump has done little to ease pressures on the

Indigo reshuffles operations leadership, appoints Rohit Rikhye as OCC head after December flight disruptions

IndiGo appointed Captain Rohit Rikhye as Head of Operations Control Centre, replacing Jason Herter. This follows operational disruptions in December.

Topics

Ram Gopal Varma says Toxic-Dhurandhar 2 clash isn’t north vs south, but ‘treating audience like dumb vs respecting them’

Ram Gopal Varma took to social media to share a note addressing the big-screen clash between Yash’s Toxic and Ranveer Singh’s Dhurandhar: The Revenge.

Cover Story newsletter: Putin’s forever war

Deputy editor Edward Carr reveals how The Economist crafts weekly covers on Putin, Ukraine, and the modern Robin Hood state

Erika Kirk ‘affair’: Debunking bizarre cheating rumors and boyfriend buzz; ‘Candace Owens needs to…’

Erika Kirk has faced intense public scrutiny ever since she became the Turning Point USA CEO and now bizarre claims have been made about her having an affair.

Indian Matchmaking’s Sima Taparia shares dating advice for Indian couples: ‘In 2-3 months, give a yes or no’

Sima Taparia advises Indian couples to decide on a match within 2-3 months, saying it's enough time to determine compatibility.

IND vs SA Super 8 weather & pitch report from Ahmedabad: Advantage South Africa

IND vs SA pitch and weather report: Ahmedabad set for a high-scoring clash with heavy dew likely to influence the result.

Mahesh Babu’s look as Lord Rama in SS Rajamouli’s Varanasi leaked? Fans wonder: ‘Can Ranbir Kapoor match up in Ramayana’

Mahesh Babu plays Lord Rama in a brief flashback in SS Rajamouli's upcoming film Varanasi. The film also stars Priyanka Chopra and Prithviraj Sukumaran.

The Kerala Story director Sudipto Sen says CBFC is denying certification to his film Charak: ‘Do not have a clear idea’

Filmmaker Sudipto Sen has said that the CBFC has recommended cuts for Charak. However, he maintained that the reasons behind the denial remain unclear.

Former American Idol contestant arrested for allegedly shooting wife dead

Caleb Flynn pleaded not guilty to multiple charges, with bond set at $2 million. The investigation has faced scrutiny from his attorney.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img