15.1 C
Delhi
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Brazil’s Top Court Allows Police to Deepen Master Probe

(Bloomberg) — A Brazilian Supreme Court justice broadened police access to a fraud investigation into Banco Master SA, effectively allowing authorities to deepen the probe that has rattled the country’s political and financial systems.

Leia em português.

In a Thursday night ruling, Justice Andre Mendonca authorized federal police to carry out routine investigative procedures in the Master case, including the hearing of suspects and witnesses. He also eased confidentiality restrictions and allowed authorities to share documents related to the probe internally to expedite their work.

On Friday, Mendonca also decided that evidence related to Master and other fraud investigations under the control of the Senate presidency should be returned to a parliamentary commission investigating the case as well as to police.

While Mendonca determined that police will need his authorization to open new investigative fronts, the Thursday decision will significantly ease restrictions fellow Justice Dias Toffoli placed on the case after Brazil’s central bank liquidated Master following its own probe into alleged financial fraud.

The rulings came amid heightened scrutiny of Toffoli’s handling of the Master saga, which has sent shockwaves through Brazil’s elite institutions and pushed the Supreme Court to the edge of its deepest credibility crisis since the country’s return to democratic rule four decades ago.

Mendonca assumed charge of the case last week, when Toffoli relinquished oversight after a police report raised questions about his links to the lender and its chief executive, Daniel Vorcaro.

The report alleged that Toffoli had maintained a relationship with Vorcaro, an executive with a reputation for cultivating ties to powerful politicians and senior officials in the Brazilian capital. It also cited financial transfers connected to the sale of a hotel resort partially owned by the justice to investment funds linked to Banco Master.

Toffoli denied wrongdoing, but the report nevertheless added to controversy that has surrounded the case since he brought it under the Supreme Court’s jurisdiction late last year.

After the central bank concluded its administrative probe and forwarded evidence to police and prosecutors — a step that led to Vorcaro’s arrest and later release under electronic monitoring — Toffoli intervened, citing defense arguments that investigative measures could involve individuals with parliamentary immunity.

He subsequently issued a series of shifting orders governing access to evidence, at one point placing documents and electronic devices under Supreme Court seal before transferring them to prosecutors and ultimately restricting access to a small group of police forensic experts.

Mendonca’s ruling also permits police to maintain custody of material collected during investigations, altering Toffoli’s order that it go to the federal prosecutor’s office instead. Authorities told the court that they are analyzing roughly 100 electronic devices, and had requested broader internal access to conclude their technical review.

(Updates with Supreme Court decision released on Friday in third paragraph.)

Latest

Trade deal with India will stand, says Trump

International Business News: TOI correspondent in Washington: US President Donald Trump said the recently concluded framework for an interim trade deal with Ind

Donald Trump announces 10% global tariffs after SC deems his reciprocal tariffs illegal

International Business News: A furious Donald Trump on Friday announced that he would be signing an executive order imposing a 10% global tariff. Trump’s stat

South Africa Cattle Virus Response in ‘Shambles’ Says Dairy Firm

Restrictions placed on the dairy industry by the South African government to curb an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease places it at serious risk, said one of t

Distributors, retailers risk missing out on Trump tariff refunds 

USA-TRUMP/TARIFFS-IMPORTERS (PIX):Distributors, retailers risk missing out on Trump tariff refunds 

Blow to Elon Musk as US court refuses to scrap $243 million payout ruling in Tesla autopilot crash case

A federal judge has denied Tesla's request to scrap $243 million payout to victims of a 2019 crash involving an Autopilot Model S, stating that the trial eviden

Topics

Trump’s press conference over Supreme Court tariff ruling- key takeaways

President  Trump's extensive press conference highlighted the continued centrality of tariffs to his presidency and suggested that the Supreme Court’s decisi

Total Lunar Eclipse 2026: When is Chandra Grahan? check date, time and significance

Planets & Transits News: The first Chandra Grahan is going to take place on March 3, 2026. This will be an exciting celestial event for all the sky watchers and

Auspicious Time for Exams: What to do before you step out and astrological tips

Others News: As we all know that CBSE boards exams are going and you have prepared for your exams very well but now you are thinking to take further tips so tha

‘India will be paying us tariffs, we will not be paying them tariffs,’ Trump says after US Supreme Court struck down IEEPA tariffs

US Supreme Court struck down Trump IEEPA tariffs. While Trump says India will be paying us tariffs, we will not be paying them tariffs; calls ruling deeply disa

Trump to ditch IEEPA tariffs; uses alternative legal powers, says US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent

After the US Supreme court strikes down Trump IEEPA Tariffs, President turns to Section 232, 301 & 122 for unchanged revenues.  

Trump signs 10% global tariffs order, calls Supreme Court ruling ‘deeply disappointing’

The new tariff will come into force almost immediately and will remain effective for approximately five months under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974.

Section 122, 301 and 232: Trump’s legal arsenal for new global tariffs

After the Supreme Court blocked his emergency tariffs, Trump moved to impose a 10% global duty under Section 122 and signaled broader trade action through Secti

Trump repeats India-Pak mediation claim while slamming tariff verdict

Trump claimed 200% tariff threats helped broker an India-Pakistan ceasefire, a claim India has firmly denied.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img