18.1 C
Delhi
Sunday, February 22, 2026

Incensed Trump raises tariffs from 10 per cent to 15 per cent causing more trade turmoil

: US President Donald Trump on Saturday raised to 15 per cent the worldwide tariff (which he had earlier set at 10 per cent) in a continued display of anger and petulance after the US Supreme Court repudiated his authority in the matter.

After lashing out intemperately at the six supreme court justices who rebuked him, Trump took to his Truth Social platform to announce that he is raising tariff “to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15% level” under Section 122 of the Trade Act which allows the US President impose tariffs to address “large and serious United States balance-of-payments deficits.”

“During the next short number of months, the Trump Administration will determine and issue the new and legally permissible Tariffs, which will continue our extraordinarily successful process of Making America Great Again,” Trump wrote, after calling the SCOTUS’ 6-3 opinion “ridiculous, poorly written, and extraordinarily anti-American decision on Tariffs.”

He said his decision to increase the tariff rate was the result of a “thorough, detailed, and complete review” of the SCOTUS ruling.

The latest announcement, clearly born out of pique and petulance over the SCOTUS snub, is certain to throw the global trading systems out of kilter, with countries and corporations across the world, including in America, unable to plan their exports or imports. Trade experts said the move is certain to face more legal challenges since the US trade balance is not uniform with all countries.

For instance, Washington has a trade SURPLUS of $14 billion with Brazil, but Trump still imposed a politically-motivated 50 per cent tariff on the country to punish the ruling Lula government for prosecuting its opponent Jair Bolsonaro, whom Trump supports. In several other instances, including with India, he spoke transparently of wielding the tariff threat to achieve objectives beyond addressing trade deficit issues, a legitimate US concern.

While Section 122 of the Trade Act empowers the US President to impose tariffs of up to 15% for 150 days, Trump indicated that after that period, the levies will be replaced with a longer-lasting tariff authority, likely under Section 301 of the Trade Act which deals with “unfair” foreign trade practices. While 301 would allow for more permanent duties, imposing it calls for detailed investigation and notification, with each country and each product meriting separate scrutiny from the US Trade Representative to determine if there has been “unjustifiable” or “discriminatory” acts that burden US commerce.

Most notably, the U.S used Section 301 against New Delhi in a 2020 investigation into its Digital Services Tax (DST), alleging that India’s 2% tax on foreign e-commerce companies unfairly targeted American tech giants like Google, Amazon, and Meta.

Under the “Framework of an Interim Agreement” reached in earlier this month, India agreed to fully phase out these levies to avoid the snap-back of Section 301 tariffs.

Latest

JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after January 6 attack

Until now, JPMorgan had never admitted that it closed Donald Trump's accounts in writing after January 6. The bank would only speak hypothetically about when th

Paramount Says Regulatory Waiting Period for Warner Bid Ends

Paramount Skydance Corp. said it has “no statutory impediment” in the US to closing its proposed $77.9 billion acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery Inc. af

US Supreme Court tariff ruling adds uncertainty to global trade outlook, offers limited relief: Analysts

International Business News: The US Supreme Court’s decision striking down tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump has done little to ease pressures on the

Indigo reshuffles operations leadership, appoints Rohit Rikhye as OCC head after December flight disruptions

IndiGo appointed Captain Rohit Rikhye as Head of Operations Control Centre, replacing Jason Herter. This follows operational disruptions in December.

‘Extraordinarily anti-American decision’: Donald Trump unleashes fury at US Supreme Court after hiking global tariffs from 10% to 15%

International Business News: US President Donald Trump on Saturday increased the global tariff he had announced a day earlier from 10% to 15%, in a strong react

Topics

Ram Gopal Varma says Toxic-Dhurandhar 2 clash isn’t north vs south, but ‘treating audience like dumb vs respecting them’

Ram Gopal Varma took to social media to share a note addressing the big-screen clash between Yash’s Toxic and Ranveer Singh’s Dhurandhar: The Revenge.

Is Trump eying to assassinate Khamenei? US troops’ movement intensifies in Portugal and Gulf bases

US-Iran tensions escalate with Trump’s 10-15 day uranium enrichment ultimatum nearing deadline, as reports claim US eyes assassinating Supreme Leader Ayatolla

Cover Story newsletter: Putin’s forever war

Deputy editor Edward Carr reveals how The Economist crafts weekly covers on Putin, Ukraine, and the modern Robin Hood state

Erika Kirk ‘affair’: Debunking bizarre cheating rumors and boyfriend buzz; ‘Candace Owens needs to…’

Erika Kirk has faced intense public scrutiny ever since she became the Turning Point USA CEO and now bizarre claims have been made about her having an affair.

Indian Matchmaking’s Sima Taparia shares dating advice for Indian couples: ‘In 2-3 months, give a yes or no’

Sima Taparia advises Indian couples to decide on a match within 2-3 months, saying it's enough time to determine compatibility.

IND vs SA Super 8 weather & pitch report from Ahmedabad: Advantage South Africa

IND vs SA pitch and weather report: Ahmedabad set for a high-scoring clash with heavy dew likely to influence the result.

Mahesh Babu’s look as Lord Rama in SS Rajamouli’s Varanasi leaked? Fans wonder: ‘Can Ranbir Kapoor match up in Ramayana’

Mahesh Babu plays Lord Rama in a brief flashback in SS Rajamouli's upcoming film Varanasi. The film also stars Priyanka Chopra and Prithviraj Sukumaran.

The Kerala Story director Sudipto Sen says CBFC is denying certification to his film Charak: ‘Do not have a clear idea’

Filmmaker Sudipto Sen has said that the CBFC has recommended cuts for Charak. However, he maintained that the reasons behind the denial remain unclear.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img